Sometimes it’s good to do, make and watch uncomplicated things. Especially when life gets busy.
So here it is, something simple but nourishing.
Let’s start with the food:
Shiitake and Kale Quinoa:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups sliced shiitake
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups julienned kale
1 tsp tamari
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
1 egg each
salt and pepper
- Start by rinsing quinoa. Cook it in 1 1/2 cup water, juice from a half a lemon and pinch of sea salt, until it absorbs all the liquid.
- Heat oils in a pan, add garlic. Cook until soft, add chili flakes and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, add kale, cover and let it cook until soft.
- Add pepper and tamari. Serve quinoa with vegetables and fried or poached egg on top. Sprinkle on top of the egg pepper and sea salt.
Now, my guilty and comfort pleasure is an Australian TV series which I accidentally discovered, called ‘Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries’. Third current season is on TV right now, previous two you can watch on Netflix. Why do I like it, you might ask? For a few very important reasons.
- It is set in the 20s, my favourite era. The clothes in the show are divine, and if only for this reason it is sooo worth watching.
- The main character, Miss Fisher, is an independent woman who has a career as a lady detective – unheard of in the 20s. She is also very liberal when it comes to befriending gentlemen. And she’s not apologetic about it, which people accept when it comes to men but somehow still can’t accept when it comes to women. And I’m not talking about the 20s but about 21st century…Just have a look at some reviews. I have only one response – go girl! Especially that even the language shows what society thinks – there are words like ‘slut’, ‘whore’ or ‘tart’, all of them describing a woman, there is no words for slutty men. When James Bond sleeps with 2-3 girls in each film, no one gives a flying monkey about it. People think he is a real man. When a woman does the same, oh no, it’s an outrage! She is not admired but called names. It is time this should change.
- The very reason which got me engrossed in a series – Miss Fisher looks like my sister…Seriously, and they are both so glamorous….