I have been indulging myself recently in lots of butter and sugar (icing on cupcakes, etc.) because I felt sorry for myself (don’t we all).
But enough is enough! I’ve decided it’s time to go back to healthy baking.
Will power or what?!
I really wanted to use goji berries as they have been used in Chinese medicine for the last 2000 years and apparently they can even slow the ageing process (among other amazing health improving tricks).
So I made really really healthy muffins. They are so freaking healthy, they should be prescribed by a doctor or something…
For the muffins:
2 cups of wholemeal flour
1 cup of plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of agave syrup
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of all spice
3 apples, diced
1 cup of dried goji berries
300 ml of buttermilk
1/2 cup of grape seed oil
For the topping:
2 tablespoons of grape seed oil
3 tablespoons of plain flour
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
100 grams of sunflower seeds
100 grams of pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180 C
2. Mix flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and all spice in a big bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mix oil, eggs, agave syrup and buttermilk.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry ones, mix carefully and gently until combined.
5. Peel and dice apples and add them to the mixture with goji berries. Mix gently.
6. Line muffin tray with muffin cases. Scoop batter into them.
7. Mix all the ingredients for the topping and crumble on top of muffins.
8. Bake till skewer comes out clean and muffins are golden on top.
9. Stuff your face without guilt – your are extending your life eating them (see: goji berries).