To be honest, you can make any spongy cake which goes well with chocolate. Spread chocolate ganache on top, decorate it with speckled chocolate eggs and you’ve got Easter cake.
If you prefer, go for chocolate all the way.
Chocolate Easter cake
200grams of flour
80 grams of cocoa
100 grams of sugar
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of espresso
175 grams of soft unsalted butter
pinch of salt
for chocolate ganache:
100 grams of dark chocolate
cup of cream
speckled eggs to decorate
1. Heat the oven to 180 C.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl till it’s combined. Don’t overdo it, just mix it gently till it’s smooth.
3. Lightly grease a round tin with butter and sprinkle with a bit of flour.
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin, smooth the top and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 40 minutes till it’s golden. Insert a skewer into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean, your cake is done.
5. Let the cake cool. Then remove it from the tin.
6. For the chocolate ganache melt chocolate with cream over a pot of simmering water (low temperature, has to just simmer). When it’s melted, let it cool, then spread it over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate the top with little eggs.