It’s winter. It’s cold and dark outside, quite miserable really, with occasional heavy winds. To cheer yourself up and make yourself feel warm you’ve got two options: 1. start heavily drinking or: 2.have some soup. I know what you are thinking – first option seems somehow very, very tempting. But think about your liver. Think about all the money it would cost you. Soup is so much cheaper.
So here you go. A recipe for a nice, warming soup. It’s nothing like a glass of wine but trust me, it does the trick.
can of chopped tomatoes
cup of red lentils
pinch of cayenne pepper
basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaf
1 spoon of olive oil
knob of butter
1. Boil 1.5 litres of water.
2. Peel, wash and dice parsnip, carrot and potatoes, add to boiling water.
3. Add salt, olive oil and lentils. Cover and simmer till vegetables and lentils are soft.
4. Using blender turn everything into a creamy soup but don’t go crazy, it’s nice to have chunks here and there.
5. Heat up your soup, add chopped tomatoes and simmer for a while. Add herbs and cayenne pepper. At the end add a knob of butter. Serve with some nice bread.