When you invite people for dinner ( I don’t understand why you would want to do that but whatever), you don’t want everyone to enjoy themselves, drink at the table and gossip, while you are slaving in the kitchen. My best advise coming from experience is; prepare dessert in advance and for dinner serve quiche. It’s easy and simple, tastes nice, and when the guests arrive, you can stick it in the oven and enjoy nice conversation and an even nicer glass of wine. Another advantage is that even if you get tipsy during that process, your dessert is already made, so you are not going to mess it up. You can only burn a bit of your quiche, like what I did as you can clearly see on the picture…..
Spinach and cherry tomatoes quiche
1 glass of flour
1/2 pack of butter
few spoons of cold water
pinch of salt
For the filling:
spinach (300 grams)
2-3 spoons of olive oil
half a cup of soya cream (or ordinary single if you are pleased)
spoon of nutmeg
any fresh herbs (basil, oregano, etc) but if you don’t have any, dried herbs de provence will do
200 grams of hard cheese (whichever you like, cheddar is absolutely fine)
1. To make pastry sieve the flour, add a pinch of salt, cut room-temperature butter into cubes . Add it to the flour and using your hands mix it together until you have a breadcrumbs texture. Add cold water (just few spoons,enough to make firm dough) and using your hands mix everything until you form nice pastry, then leave in the fridge for half an hour.
2. Saute spinach in a pan with olive oil. Add nutmeg, a pinch of salt and herbs. Leave to cool for a bit.
3. Take the pastry out of the fridge, dust with more flour, roll it out on a floured surface. Butter flan dish, I usually sprinkle the dish with 2 spoons of breadcrumbs. Line the dish with pastry. I never use fancy baking beans, I just simply poke the pastry with a fork, leaving plenty of little holes.
4. Pre-bake pastry in an oven for about 20 minutes (temperature 150 C).
5. Take it out of the oven, sprinkle a spoon of breadcrumbs into the pastry, then some grated cheese. Spread spinach and add cherry tomatoes. Whisk eggs with cream and pour it into the pastry. Sprinkle more cheese on top.
6. Bake it in the oven till eggs set and cheese melts (30 -40 minutes, temperature about 170 C).
Serve with a salad and a smile.