Summer time is for eating in the garden. Some people have barbecues. For my neighbours ‘barbecue’ is code for ‘all night drinking session with singing’ etc. If it’s dinner time you can have chilled wine and something nourishing to eat, at lunchtime you can have something summery like fried aubergines and stuffed peppers. You can have it with apple or pomegranate juice. It’s easy and quick to make.
Summer lunch – fried aubergines and stuffed peppers
sweet peppers (one per person)
freshly ground pepper
aubergine (one medium for two people)
1. First cut peppers in half, de-seed them
2. Arrange them on the baking tray layered with tin foil.
3. Stuff peppers with sliced in half cherry tomatoes and halved olives.
4. Sprinkle with olive oil and some pepper.
5. Leave it in the oven on medium heat (150C)
6. Slice aubergine, rub some salt into slices, leave it for a few minutes, then wash it and dry it using kitchen towel.
7. Whisk one egg in bowl or soup plate. On a separate plate put some breadcrumbs.
8. Heat oil in the frying pan
9. Coat aubergine slices in whisked egg, then in breadcrumbs, fry it on both sides on medium heat (gas mark 6-7).
10. When the peppers are soft and roasted, arrange them on the plates, chop some basil and sprinkle on top with crumbled feta cheese, serve with fried aubergines and salad or new potatoes.