In ‘Pulp Fiction’ there is a scene where the character played by Quentin Tarantino says that he doesn’t eat Big Kahuna Burgers ‘because my girlfriend is a vegetarian, so that pretty much makes me one too..’
And that’s pretty much Boyfriend’s life. To make up for it I’m sometimes using Quorn. Some of it is not too shabby, for example the bacon. Totally kosher as well.
Here’s a recipe for vegetable omelette. Basically you fry anything you find in the fridge with some eggs and top it up with cheese. Breakfast has never been easier…
Vegetable omelette (for two)
3 slices of quorn bacon
2 tablespoons of milk
10 grams of cheddar cheese
salt and freshly grounded pepper
knob of butter
1. Heat butter in the frying pan.
2. Slice mushrooms and add them to the butter. Fry it on the low gas (electrical hob – I would say 3 is a good number)
3. Chop quorn bacon (that’s if you are vegetarian and Boyfriend isn’t, it is called compromise.)
4. Add it to mushrooms, fry it stirring from time to time (you can make tea in the meantime if you feel confident in multi-tasking).
5. Mix in a bowl eggs with milk ( if you feel decadent and skinny, replace the milk with single cream) and pinch of salt and fresh pepper.
6. Chop chives and add them to the frying pan.
7. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
8. Turn the heat even lower. Wait till eggs start to set.
9. Grate the cheese. Sprinkle it over the omelette.
10. Flip the omelette and leave it on the gas for 30 seconds till cheese melts a little.
11. Cut it in half and serve.